Saturday, January 04, 2020

Sundance Film Festival Diversity!

I hope that this move will help with the quality of films that make it. The Sundance Film Festival will have a more diverse set or critics!  

Sundance Film Festival aims for more Movie Critic Diversity



  SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -  A Sundance Film Festival program designed to increase diversity among media members covering the annual event in Park City boomed in popularity in the initiative's second year. The Salt Lake Tribune reports that 51 journalists were selected this year out of a pool of 319 applicants to receive travel stipends provided in the program. More than 80% are minority journalists. Most of the chosen writers are women. About half are LGBTQ and a quarter are people with disabilities. Sundance officials created the Press Inclusion Program in 2018 after a study found two-thirds of movie critics were white men. The festival runs Jan. 23-Feb. 2.

Saturday, November 16, 2019

US `gravely disappointed' by South Sudan coalition Government delay, will Reevaluate Relationship

By SAM MEDNICK
Associated Press

   NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - The United States said Wednesday it is "gravely disappointed" and will reevaluate its relationship with South Sudan over the failure of its rival leaders to form a coalition government according to the country's fragile peace accord.

   President Salva Kiir and opposition leader Riek Machar last week agreed to postpone the formation of a coalition government for 100 days. They had faced a Nov. 12 deadline but said security and governance issues needed to be resolved.

   The State Department statement said that "their inability to achieve this basic demonstration of political will for the people of South Sudan calls into question their suitability to continue to lead the nation's peace process."

   The U.S. said it will work bilaterally and with the international community to "take action against all those impeding South Sudan's peace process." That could mean sanctions.

   South Sudan government spokesman Ateny Wek Ateny called the U.S. statement disappointing but said the government understands the U.S. position. South Sudan's government also wanted the coalition government formed on time, he said.

   "The president wasn't willing to extend until we realized the opposition was adamant to see the extension done or they'd go back to war," Ateny asserted.

   South Sudan's civil war erupted in late 2013, just two years after the country's independence from Sudan, when supporters of Kiir and Machar, then his deputy, clashed. A previous peace deal under which Machar returned as Kiir's deputy fell apart amid fresh fighting in 2016 and Machar fled the country on foot.

   South Sudan experts have warned that without a new approach, the current uneasy situation may well be the same when the 100-day period ends in February.

   The oil-rich country is slowly emerging from five years of fighting that killed almost 400,000 people and displaced millions. The fragile peace agreement signed in September 2018 has been riddled with delays and a lack of funding.

   Pope Francis on Sunday called for South Sudan's politicians to salvage the peace deal and announced he intends to visit the East African country in the coming year. In a striking gesture of concern earlier this year the pope knelt and kissed the feet of Kiir and Machar to encourage them to strengthen the faltering peace process.

UN report links Kenyan military to attacks on Somalia's largest Telecommunications provider


By TOM ODULA
Associated Press

   NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - A new United Nations report says it has corroborated evidence of five attacks allegedly carried out by Kenya's military on communication masts belonging to neighboring Somalia's largest telecom provider. One attack killed two civilians in 2018.

   The report by the U.N. panel of experts monitoring sanctions against Somalia says destroying telecommunication masts may prevent al-Shabab extremists from triggering explosives using mobile telephone signals.

   The report, made public this week, says Kenya's military denied involvement in the attacks. The military did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.

   Hormuud Telecom Somalia says the attacks violate international law. The company asserts that its communications masts have been attacked 10 times by Kenya's military over the past two years.

   The attacks have caused at least $5 million in infrastructure while destabilizing communities, undermining Somalia's economic development and impeding the coordination of humanitarian efforts, a company spokesman said.

   Many people in the Horn of Africa nation long wracked by extremist attacks and climate shocks such as drought rely on remittances wired from family members in the Somali diaspora.

   The destruction of telecom infrastructure may be aimed at curtailing the transmission of intelligence on troop movements or extremist operations, Hormuud said.

   Kenya sent troops to Somalia in 2011 to fight al-Shabab, which also carries out attacks inside Kenya. As assault on a luxury hotel complex in the capital, Nairobi, in January killed 21 people.

   The new U.N. report also said the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab remain "a potent threat" to regional peace and are now manufacturing home-made explosives, expanding their revenue sources and infiltrating government institutions.

Saturday, November 02, 2019

Leah Mwamoto Awaonya Wazazi wa Kilolo Wanaokatisha Masomo ya Wanafunzi

Mjumbe wa halmashauri Kuu (CCM) Mkoa wa Iringa, Leah Mwamoto akiongea na wazazi wa shule ya sekondari ya Mlafu iliyopo katika wilaya ya Kilolo mkoani Iringa
 Wanafunzi wa shule ya sekondari ya Mlafu iliyopo katika wilaya ya Kilolo mkoani Iringa wakicheza nyimbo mbele ya mgeni Rasmi

NA FREDY MGUNDA,KILOLO

Mjumbe wa halmashauri Kuu (CCM) Mkoa wa Iringa, Leah Mwamoto amewaonya wazazi wanaokatisha masomo watoto kuwa serikali itawachukulia hatua kali pindi watakapobainika kufanya kosa hilo.

Mwamoto ameongea hayo katika mahafali ya kidato cha nne katika shule ya sekondari ya Mlafu iliyopo katika kijiji cha Mlafu wilayani Kilolo alipomuwakilisha mbunge wa jimbo la Kilolo Venance Mwamoto.

Akiwaonya wazazi katika mahafali hayo Mwamoto amewaeleza wazazi juu ya mazingira mabaya wanayoyakuta watoto wanaokwenda kufanya kazi za ndani katika miji mikubwa.

Hata hivyo amewaomba watendaji wa kata kuendelea kuwafutilia watoto ili kuwaepusha kujiingiza katika mazingira hatarishi yatakayoharibu ndoto zao.

Aidha Mwamoto amepongeza uongozi wa shule ya sekondari Mlafu kwa matokeo mazuri pamoja na mbunge wa jimbo la Kilolo, Mhe Venance Mwamoto kuchangia bati 180 na mifuko 100 ya saruji kwa ujenzi wa zahanati kijiji cha Mlafu.

Awali akisoma taarifa fupi ya shule mwalimu mkuu wa shule hiyo Emmanuel Mbangwa ameomba wadau kujitokeza kuboresha mazingira katika shule hiyo hususani kujenga nyumba za walimu na mabweni.

Nae diwani Mlafu Isidory Kiyenge amewataka wazazi wa kata hiyo pamoja na wadau kuwa tayari kuchangia katika sekta ya elimu ili kuongeza mazingira ya ufaulu.

Kayenge amewataka wanafunzi kujiandaa kwa mitihani ya kidato cha nne huku alito ahadi ya kuwaandalia chakula wakati wa mitihani.

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Please Help Lay Boston Actor Charles L Jackson to Rest!

UPDATE - Charles L. Jackson was laid to rest in his family plot in Springfield, MA on Friday November 1, 2019.   may he rest in eternal peace. Amen.



Please help lay Charles Lee Jackson to rest. He died on October 7, 2019 in his apartment in Dorchester, Massachusetts. His body wasn't found until Wednesday, October 9, 2019 and his notified on October, 10, 2019. His family is struggling to put the money together to give him a proper burial. A GOFUNDME has been set up. Please help if you can. Charles did a lot of background acting work, he also did numerous play in Roxbury, and Boston. He was a father and grandfather. Rest in peace Charles (1955-2019)

https://www.gofundme.com/f/his-final-scenelaying-to-rest-charles-l-jackson

GO FUND ME FOR CHARLES L. JACKSON
The Late Charles Lee A Jackson at Revere Beach in 2011.  

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Tanzia - Charles Lee Jackson (Actor) 1955-2019

It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I announce the passing of my friend and acting buddy, Charles Lee Jackson aka. Mzee Matumbi. He was also a fellow member of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG AFTRA). He died at his apartment in Dorchester, MA from natural causes. Funeral arrangements are pending. We will miss you Charles.

Rest in eternal peace Charles Lee Jackson 1955-2019





He did background work in several TV shows and  Hollywood movies filmed in the Boston Area.

Charles was nominated for Best Actor in a Short Film, Downbeat, at the Massachusetts Independent Film  Festival  in 2017.


You can see the Late Charles Jackson's acting chops in this short film, Downbeat. He was nominated for Best Actor in a Short film at the Massachusetts Independent Film Festival in 2017.


https://vimeo.com/210828895 Best Actor Short: Brooklyn In July - Thaddeus Daniels WINNER What Weighs Us Down - Adam Masnyk Fils (Son) - Herve Sogne Le Risque Zero - Hugues Boucher Downbeat - Charles Jackson http://www.massiff.org/2017nominees

Saturday, October 05, 2019

There is no Ebola in Tanzania - Minister of Health Hon. Ummy Mwalimu

MAY GOD CONTINUE TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE OF TANZANIA FROM EBOLA! AMEN!

By TOM ODULA
Associated Press

   NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - Tanzania on Thursday rejected suspicions that it might have covered up cases of the deadly Ebola virus, calling it a plot to show the country "in a bad light."

   The health minister's comments came after the World Health Organization issued an unusual statement saying Tanzania refused to share information and the United States and Britain issued travel warnings. The current Ebola outbreak based in neighboring eastern Congo is now the second-deadliest in history with more than 2,000 people killed.

   Tanzanian Health Minister Ummy Mwalimu said there were two suspected Ebola cases last month but the East African country determined they did not have the virus.

   "Ebola is not a disease one can hide," the minister said. "Tanzania is well aware of the dangers of hiding such an epidemic."

   Global health officials had repeatedly asked Tanzania to share the results of its investigations, but Mwalimu asserted there is no need to submit a "negative sample" for further testing.

   Countries with little or no experience testing for Ebola, especially ones such as Tanzania which have never had a confirmed Ebola case, are asked to send samples to a WHO-accredited lab to confirm the initial results, no matter whether they are positive or negative.

   Tanzania's health minister said the country will follow international protocols, including reporting to WHO, "if there is an Ebola case."

   WHO has said it was made aware on Sept. 10 of the death in Tanzania's commercial capital, Dar es Salaam, of a patient suspected to have Ebola. A day later, it received unofficial reports that an Ebola test had come back positive. On Thursday, it received unofficial reports that a contact of the patient, who had traveled widely in the country, was sick and hospitalized.

   The lack of information from Tanzania made it difficult to assess potential risks, WHO said.

   A rapid response is crucial in containing Ebola, which can be fatal in up to 90% of cases and is most often spread by close contact with bodily fluids of people exhibiting symptoms or with contaminated objects.

   The initial symptoms for Ebola, including fever and pain, are similar to those of other diseases such as malaria and measles, and mistakes in diagnosis and mismanagement of patients could inadvertently allow an outbreak to spread.

   Critics have shown increasing alarm as Tanzanian President John Magufuli's government has restricted access to key information and cracked down on perceived dissent. Lawmakers recently approved an amendment to a statistics law to make it a crime to distribute information not sanctioned by the government or which contradicts the government.

   ---

   Associated Press writer Maria Cheng in London contributed.