The visit comes days after deposed Madagascar leader Marc Ravalomanana said in Tanzania he won't try to stand in next year's elections. Ravalomanana was ousted in a coup in March 2009.
Tanzania's Foreign Minister Bernard Membe said he is optimistic the Friday and Saturday talks between Tanzania President Jakaya Kikwete and Rajoelina will lead to a "positive settlement." Kikwete heads a southern block of African nations known as the SADC and has been tasked with finding a solution to Madagascar's political troubles.
Membe said any political agreements should include a general amnesty for domestic and external opponents of Rajoelina.
|President Jakaya Kikwete and Transitional President of Madagascar Andry Rajoelina|
COMMUNIQUE OF THE MEETING BETWEEN H.E. DR. JAKAYA MRISHO KIKWETE, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA AND H.E. ANDRY RAJOELINA, TRANSITIONAL PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF MADAGASCAR
14TH DECEMBER 2012
1. At the invitation of H.E. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete, President of the United Republic of Tanzania and the current Chairperson of the SADC Organ on Politics, Defense and Security Cooperation, H.E. Andry Rajoelina, President of the Transitional Government of the Republic of Madagascar paid a two-day working visit to Tanzania from 14th to 15th December 2012.
2. The invitation was in response to the conclusions of the SADC Extra-Ordinary Summit held on 8th December 2012 in Dar es Salaam, which mandated the Organ Chairperson to brief and hold consultations with H.E. Andry Rajoelina, President of the Transitional Government and H.E. Marc Ravalomanana, former President of Madagascar with regards to the political situation in Madagascar.
3. It should be recalled that on 10th December 2012, President Kikwete in his capacity as the Chairperson of the SADC Organ met in Dar es Salaam with former President Marc Ravalomanana to discuss decisions of the SADC Summit.
4. On 11th December 2012, H,E. Ravalomanana and his host, President Kikwete held a joint Press Conference where he officially announced his decision not to contest in the forthcoming Presidential Elections.
5. On 14th December 2012, President Kikwete and H.E. Rajoelina held in-depth discussions on the conclusions of the Dar es Salaam SADC Summit. The talks were held in a cordial and friendly atmosphere and significant progress has been made. The two leaders agreed to have further consultations with relevant stakeholders prior to meeting again before the end of the month to conclude on the matter.
6. President Rajoelina thanked his host President Kikwete for the warm hospitality accorded to him and his delegation. He further congratulated the SADC Summit for re-affirming the dates for the elections and for calling the respective parties to respect the same. He also expressed appreciation for SADC’s commitment to mobilize financial resources and logistical support from the International Community.
Amb. Liberata Mulamula Ms. Annick Rajoana
Senior Personal Assistant to the President Spokesperson the Transitional
United Republic of Tanzania President of the Republic of Madagascar
Done at Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
14th December 2012.